I will try…

Hello darlings! Hope you all had a fabulous week. Anyone out there watching The Voice this season? I love it. Seeing the contestants put every ounce of talent they have out there for the judges and the world to hear inspires me. I always feel terrible when not even one judge turns around for a contestant but most of them still feel lucky to have been given the opportunity to be on that stage.

This week, one of the contestants who did make it through said something in her post-performance interview that struck a sad chord with me. She said she was so grateful to even be there because most people never get their shot. That hurt my heart a little bit…mostly because I knew how right she was. I sat for a while thinking about it and pondering on why that is. And I finally came to a conclusion…

Most people never get their shot because they never go for it.

So many of us live our lives on auto-pilot. Staying the charted course assures us that we won’t crash and burn. We’ll get to our final destination safe and sound without much effort. No detours, no sudden moves, no crazy leaps of faith.

Sounds dreadful, doesn’t it?

So why do we live that way? For me, it‘s how I was raised. Security was everything. Pursuing dreams was ok as long as they involved a stable job and good benefits. Risks were scary and to be avoided at all costs. And I towed the line because it was the path of least resistance.

That’s not to say getting up every morning and going off to do something that I never wanted to do while my dreams were laying dying in a ditch somewhere was easy. But it was easier than crashing and burning. Or so I imagined.

It wasn’t until my dad passed away that I began to look at things differently. Seeing all the dreams he left in the ditch waiting for a someday that never came changed my perspective on life and living. I came to realize that the greatest risk isn’t crashing and burning. It’s having never let yourself soar.

It took me a few years to resolve to go after my dreams wholeheartedly and to try to truly live every day. And now that I’m doing it, I realize a little uncertainty is good for the soul. I feel alive in a way I never did before.

And at the end of the day, what’s the worst that will happen to me if I do crash and burn? I might lose my “things”, maybe my pride will be bruised. My confidence will certainly suffer. But my family will still be there for me. My friends will still believe in me. And most importantly, my dog will still love me unconditionally. So really, I won’t have lost anything important after all.

What would you do today if you knew you couldn’t fail? The key is to try. Because if you never even try, you’ll certainly never soar.

And if the gap between where you are and where you want to be seems too overwhelming, check out my All or Nothing post. It will help you get there from here. One little leap of faith at a time.

I imagine taking a leap of faith is similar to skydiving. Until you do it, it seems terrifying. But afterwards, you want to do it again and again.

Geronimo!

13 comments for “I will try…

1. Rob
    February 11, 2012 at 4:40 am

What you said about your dad made me sad. I think we all have those things which we say we’ll do someday but, just like the CCR song says, someday never comes. 🙁

Knowing what I do about you I’m pretty sure you’ll find yourself soaring to new heights in no time. Not that you need to worry because I’m positive that there are plenty of us to catch you in the unlikely event that you do fall. 😀
    I don’t know why but I’m suddenly reminded of that line from The Great Gatsby: “Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out are arms farther….and one fine morning..”.

Another great post!

• admin
      February 11, 2012 at 8:02 am

Aww, I didn’t want to make you sad! Just wanted to make the point that we shouldn’t leave our dreams by the wayside in exchange for safe and sound and someday. I think we all have the potential to do great things. Sometimes we just need to step out of the safety zone… =)

I love The Great Gatsby and that line is fabulous!

Thanks for always being here, Rob! Love you! xoxoxox

2. Paul
    February 11, 2012 at 7:08 am

Wow! I saw my life in this post. For me it was my mom’s passing that effected my life the way your Dad’s did you. I’m not quite there yet with the soaring thing but I’ve taken the first steps. Thanks for these wonderful posts! Love the art work too!

• admin
      February 11, 2012 at 8:04 am

Of all the people I know, Paul, I have absolute faith that you are one who will be soaring! You are an amazing person and I’m so grateful to have you as a friend. Thank you! Love you! xoxoxox

3. meg
    February 11, 2012 at 9:16 am

so do you have any ideas for those of us who can’t even remember what our dreams were?

• admin
      February 11, 2012 at 9:24 am

Funny you should ask, Meg! I was thinking of starting an Inspiration group with our little circle of girls. Then maybe expanding if we like it… And yes! I do have some ideas and I will post more in the coming weeks.

4. stacey
    February 11, 2012 at 9:20 am

Girl I feel as if you are writing these words of wisdom directly to me at times. I feel at such a crossroads in my life and your words truly touch my heart… A lot of decisions and a lot of soul searching need to be done on my part and I have been avoiding doing so…These words right here made me realize that no matter what the outcome…soar or crash and burn its the attempting to change that is half the journey and it scares me to death. I hope I can find the strength to truly do what works best for me.. I love you Sista! Thank you for always inspiring my thoughts. xoxoxoxoxoxo

• admin
      February 11, 2012 at 9:26 am

Ahhh, thank you so much. I honestly can’t tell you how that makes me feel. I love you too Sista! And I’m here for you whenever and whatever happens. You’re not alone girl! xoxoxoxox

5. Angel
    February 11, 2012 at 10:12 am

Such a great post! Great message! All I know is whenever I find out what dreams I have, I’ll be going for it all. You as well as most people know how precious life is and how important it is to “live like you’re dying”. The unknown in life is usually the best part of life. I can’t wait to see you soar cause you’ll be the best person at it! Good thing we have a dog(s) or that unconditional love wouldn’t be there to catch us 🙂 xoxx

• admin
      February 11, 2012 at 11:49 am

Thanks girlie!! You’re so sweet. And I can’t wait to see YOU soar! You’re an amazing soul! xoxoxox

And yes! Gotta love the doggies… =)

6. Jill
    February 11, 2012 at 10:30 am

Thank you, I know we spoke about this a little bit last night it has inspired me today. YOU inspire me everyday.

Lots of my love xoxoxoxoox

• admin
      February 11, 2012 at 11:50 am

Right back at ya, sista! You’re an equal inspiration to me! Love ya! xoxoxoxox